Department of Pediatrics
Department of Pediatrics was incorporated in Government Medical College in 2002 as one of the final year subject with aim of providing quality education to undergraduate and patients care from 0 to 12 years of age. The department has capacity of 90 beds for general pediatric patients, 5 beds for pediatric intensive care and 12 cradles for neonates. The departments has staff as required for Under Graduates in accordance of MCI i.e. one Professor, two Associate Professor, three Assistant Professors, three senior residents and six Junior Residents.The College has intake capacity of 150 students for MBBS and is affiliated to Maharashtra University Of health Sciences, Nashik.
The department provides basic training in Pediatrics to undergraduates and also provides patient care.
The departments caters patients not only from Akola districts but also from neighboring district with radius extending up to Hingoli district. Since Government Medical College was established on existing District Hospital which was one of pioneer referral unit in this area since 1927, the department too inherits the faith of masses in patient care. Department is committed to ensure accessible, high quality and ethical care for all children and families coming to this hospital.
- To impart sound practical and theoretical medical education based on strong scientific evidence to students.
- To have excellence in providing competent and compassionate healthcare services to the children of community.
- Commitment for state of art in pediatric care by providing a caring and supportive environment for patients, patient's families and subordinates.
- Encourage clinical research and continually seek better, more efficient ways to achieve quality education and patient care goals.
- To support Sustainable development goals in relation to pediatric health
- Adhere to high professional standards by a commitment to ethics, confidentiality, trust, respect and transparency.
- Collaborate and share knowledge to benefit patients and practicing doctors.
- To provide preventive care to children.
- To start PG and fellowship couses in Pediatrics
So ultimate mission is to attain optimal physical, mental, and social health and well-being for all infants, children, adolescents, and young adults.
As a teaching institute we like to create students both undergraduates and postgraduates who are competent, skillful, ethical, knowledgeable on whom a society can rely.
With one or two child norm its utmost important to created confidence in society about the survival of their child by giving quality and advanced care to children. As modern care becomes more and more sophisticated and advanced it also becomes beyond the reach of common man so it's our vision to create more reliable Medical care system by providing a caring and supportive environment for patients, patient's families and subordinates.
Its our vision to provide services that are respectful, convenient, easily usable and culturally competent.
In long run it necessitates to conduct assessments and evaluation program that routinely involve end user of services and in turn modify programs appropriately to improve the quality of service.
With ultimate vision -To model how services are delivered to young children and their families and to child care providers.
Functions and objectives
1) To train undergraduates and post graduates in Pediatrics so they:
- Function effectively as consultants, integrating optimal, ethical and patient-centered medical care.
- Establish and maintain clinical knowledge, skills and attitudes appropriate to
- Perform a complete and appropriate assessment of a patient
- Use preventive and therapeutic interventions effectively
- Demonstrate proficient and appropriate use of procedural skills, both diagnostic and therapeutic fields.
- Seek appropriate consultation from other health professionals, recognizing the
limits of their own expertise
- Develop rapport, trust, and ethical therapeutic relationships with patients and
- Participate effectively and appropriately in an inter professional health care team
- Maintain and enhance professional activities through ongoing learning.
2) To conduct clinics, lectures, seminars for students in Pediatrics.
3) To conduct theory and practical examinations as per MUHS, Nashik
4) To carry out and guide research activity for students and teachers.
5) To provide patient care to neonates, infants, children and adolescent includes
- Outpatient care
- Inpatient care
- Emergency care
- Pediatric critical care
- Neonatal intensive care
- Infant and young child nutrition
- Preventive care
- Specialty clinics- sickle cell clinic, thalassemia day care center, Vaccination, asthma clinic, epilepsy clinic etc
- Diagnostic services at community level
6) To train various paramedical staff.
7) To conduct CME for health professionals
8) To provide expertise in various policy making related to pediatric care
9) To carry out national health care Programs
10) To evaluate various health issues.
Organization Structure and Chart
|Dean, Government Medical College, Akola - Dr. Rajesh Karyakarte
|Head of Department, Pediatrics - Dr. Vinit Warthe
|Professor : Dr. Nilesh Dayama
||Associate Professor : Dr. Vinit Warthe
||Associate Professor : Dr. Abhay Bagul
|Assistant Professor : Dr. Paridhi Garg
||Assistant Professor : Dr.Jaikumar Patel
||Assistant Professor : Dr. Ashutosh Paldiwal
|Junior Resident 1
||Junior Resident 1
||Junior Resident 1
|Junior Resident 2
||Junior Resident 2
||Junior Resident 2
Award And Achievements:
List of publications by the members of the staff during the last 3 years Department of Peadiatrics. :
[ Download ]
- ) Winner of Best Research Paper Presentation in Shirin Mehtaji Competition 2015 for research in Pediatrics & OBGY - Dr. Ashutosh Paldiwal.
- ) First Runner up in 29th IAP UG Quiz 2016 held at GMC Nagpur
- ) Study project awarded under Star Research Project